San Tung chicken wings are a delectable and popular dish inspired by the renowned San Tung Chinese restaurant in San Francisco. Known for their unique combination of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors, these wings have gained a cult following.
Recreating the magic at home allows you to savor the crispy and flavorful goodness of San Tung chicken wings without stepping out. This recipe captures the essence of San Tung’s famous wings, featuring a marinade that infuses the chicken with a perfect blend of soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, and aromatic spices.
The result is irresistibly crispy wings with a sticky, finger-licking glaze that will leave you craving for more. Whether you’re a fan of Asian-inspired cuisine or just looking to elevate your wing game, this San Tung chicken wings recipe is sure to become a favorite in your kitchen. So, let’s dive into the art of making these delicious wings that bring a taste of San Francisco to your dining table.
San Tung Chicken Wings Recipe
Sure, I’d be happy to help you explore a San Tung chicken wings recipe. Here’s a simple recipe for San Tung-style chicken wings:
- 2 lbs chicken wings, split at joints, tips discarded
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Sesame seeds and green onions for garnish
- In a bowl, mix together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, honey, minced garlic, grated ginger, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes.
- Place the chicken wings in a large zip-top bag and pour half of the marinade over them. Seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top. Arrange the marinated chicken wings on the rack.
- Bake the wings in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until they are golden brown and crispy. Flip the wings halfway through the cooking time.
- While the wings are baking, heat the remaining marinade in a saucepan over medium heat. Simmer until it thickens into a glaze.
- Once the wings are done, brush them with the thickened glaze. You can also toss them in the glaze for an extra coating.
- Garnish the wings with sesame seeds and chopped green onions before serving.
Enjoy your delicious San Tung-style chicken wings!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) – San Tung Chicken Wings Recipe
1. Can I use a different part of the chicken for this recipe?
While chicken wings are traditional for this recipe, you can experiment with other cuts. Drumettes or even boneless chicken thighs can work well with the San Tung-style marinade and glaze.
2. How spicy are San Tung chicken wings?
The spice level can be adjusted to your preference. The red pepper flakes in the recipe add a mild heat, but you can increase or decrease them based on your spice tolerance.
3. Can I grill the wings instead of baking them?
Absolutely! You can grill the marinated wings for a smoky flavor. Ensure they cook through, and you can brush on the glaze during the last few minutes on the grill.
4. Is there a substitute for hoisin sauce?
If you don’t have hoisin sauce, you can use a combination of soy sauce and a bit of molasses or honey to mimic the sweet and savory flavors.
5. How long should I marinate the chicken?
For optimal flavor, marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight in the refrigerator. This allows the flavors to penetrate the meat.
6. Can I make these wings ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare the wings in advance and reheat them in the oven before serving. Keep the glaze separate and brush it on before reheating to maintain the crispiness.
7. What sides go well with San Tung chicken wings?
Serve these wings with steamed rice, stir-fried vegetables, or a simple Asian slaw. They also make a great appetizer for parties.
8. Can I use low-sodium soy sauce for a healthier option?
Yes, you can use low-sodium soy sauce if you’re looking to reduce the sodium content. Adjust other seasonings accordingly to maintain the balance of flavors.
9. How do I store leftovers?
Store any leftover wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat them in the oven to maintain the crispiness.
10. Can I make these wings gluten-free?
Yes, you can use tamari or a gluten-free soy sauce alternative. Ensure other ingredients like hoisin sauce are also gluten-free.